Consumers Spent 19% More Time Watching Video Ads In Q2
According to a new report titled Q2 2017 Benchmark Report, conducted by Extreme Reach (a cloud technology platform for TV and video ad workflow) - quarterly numbers reveal a significant increase in consumer response to video advertising, along with advertisers’ focus on mobile. This report on consumers and video advertising found that viewability, completion rates, and time-spent metrics increased in Q2 2017 compared to Q2 2016.
Here are some highlights on Video Ads Impact;
- The average amount of time viewers spent watching video ads has increased across the board by 19 percent.
- Viewability has seen an overall increase of 20 percent over 2016.
- Completion rates are up by 20 percent, with a 36 percent increase for premium publishers since this time last year.
In addition Extreme Reach’s benchmarks report also found evidence that:
- Changes in Click-through rate (CTR) demonstrate changing screen preferences. Media aggregators, which most commonly run the bulk of their impressions on desktop, experienced a 54 percent increase in CTR. Premium publishers, which are running more impressions on mobile/tablet and Connected TV, saw a 37 percent decrease in CTR over the past year.
- Vendors are being held more accountable for bad inventory. General Invalid Traffic (GIVT) is down by 33 percent since Q2 2016.
- Mobile is on the rise. Small Video Players, which are defined as less than 400×300 in pixels, saw a jump in usage. These players are most popular for mobile impressions.
- In-banner video ads are on the decline. There was a 17 percent drop in video in-banner ads over the last year.
What does it all mean?
An increase in viewability means consumers are demonstrating a greater acceptance of video ads, while the video-ad industry is becoming “more measurable” as evidenced by the data from Q2 2016 vs. Q2 2017.
This is good news considering YouTube is the SECOND most popular search engine, in the world. (In case you weren’t sure, number 1 is Google). Video is on the fast track to dominating search results as well by 2025 (if not sooner). Did you know that it would take an individual more than 5 million years to watch the amount of video that will cross global IP networks each month in 2020?
Video Marketing & Video Advertising is here. Is your strategic plan ready?
Q2 2017 Benchmark Report - conducted & released by Extreme Reach, a cloud technology platform for TV and Video ad workflow and Talent and Rights management.
LACED Agency offers a dedicated Video Services Department - complete with marketing strategy, production & optimization, delivery and deployment, advertising placements, social placements, and analytics team to help you make sense of what's working and what's not. Learn more.